When you think about your dream home – the one you can see yourself growing old in – what do you imagine it looks like? A modern architectural masterpiece built of glass and metal, or something more old-fashioned and cosy? If you asked your friends and family what their ideal ‘forever’ home looks like they will probably all have very different ideas.
What does your forever home look like?
Whether you’re fortunate enough to be on the lookout to buy your forever home, or you’re thinking of doing up your current home to make it one you won’t ever want to move from a recent survey has revealed some interesting statistics:
Top of the must-have list for UK home buyers is off-street parking, whereas one of the ‘dream’ features is a garage – despite reports suggesting we rarely use our garages to park our cars.
Marketing your forever home
If you’re selling your home, you can make it more marketable by appealing to someone’s idea of a forever home. Converting an office or junk room into an extra bedroom can make it more attractive to families. You could also convert your downstairs cloakroom or the cupboard under the stairs into a toilet or wet room and use potted plants on patios or driveways if you haven’t got a big garden.
What do you think a forever home is?
- 61% of the people surveyed think their forever home is the one they’ll grow old in.
- Only 10% think it’s something they can currently afford.
Where should it be?
- 26% want their forever home to be in a village.
- Only 8% think their forever home will be in a big city.
Do you live in yours?
- 33% of 18-24 year olds think they’re currently living in their forever home compared to 43% of 35-44 year olds believe the same.
If you are thinking of improving your current home, or you’re looking to buy or sell a property, please get in touch to discuss your mortgage needs.